If you’re searching for an Atlanta-based advertising agency or marketing communications firm, you’re probably also interested in facts and figures about digital marketing.
Well, you’re in luck.
What follows are 25 amazing facts about digital marketing that every marketer should know, whether they’re based in Atlanta, Georgia or anywhere else in the country.
Ready? Terrific. Here goes:
- 75% of Americans bring their phones to the bathroom (11 Mark) http://www.11mark.com/IT-in-the-Toilet
- 40.5% of consumers said they would rather see targeted ads that reflect their interests rather than random ads http://www.aboutads.info/resource/image/Poll/Zogby_DAA_Poll.pdf
- 70% of people in U.S. say they would like to receive offers on their mobile phone http://pinterest.com/pin/128985976800648700/
- A new report commissioned by LivingSocial has revealed that small businesses are potentially missing out on $650 million each year by not using social media tools fully http://econsultancy.com/us/blog/63053-10-interesting-digital-marketing-stats-we-ve-seen-this-week-56
- More than 25% of American use only mobile devices to access the internet http://www.gomonews.com/mobile-web-growth-1-in-5-internet-users-dont-use-a-computer/
- 87% of those surveyed have used deal-of-the-day websites like Groupon or Living Social http://www.brandchannel.com/images/papers/534_nielsen_wp_mobile_media_report_1212.pdf
- 66% of U.S. consumers and 49% of U.S. marketers believe television commercials are more important and effective than online ads
- The average American spends 2 hours a day social networking from a computer, tablet and/or mobile phone http://www.marketingcharts.com/wp/interactive/social-networking-eats-up-3-hours-per-day-for-the-average-american-user-26049/
- 47% of those businesses surveyed have generated leads from Facebook, 35% from LinkedIn, 34% from Twitter
- More than 30 million Americans watch television content via their mobile phones http://www.iab.net/media/file/NielsenStateofMediaConsumerUsageReport.pdf
- More than 65% of time spent on mobile is on apps http://visual.ly/top-4-digital-marketing-trends-2013
- Almost 50% of users install mobile apps after tapping on ads from the Facebook app http://visual.ly/top-4-digital-marketing-trends-2013
- Almost 90% of marketers use social media to distribute content http://visual.ly/top-4-digital-marketing-trends-2013
- 21% of Pinterest users purchased a product after seeing a picture on the site http://visual.ly/top-4-digital-marketing-trends-2013
- 98% of charities and non-profits are on Facebook http://mashable.com/2012/12/12/non-profits-social-media-infographic/
- Americans spend an average of 158 minutes every day on their smartphones and tablets (Flurry) http://orleansmarketing.com/2012-digital-marketing-stats-facts/#.UfalOBaxPHg
- 42.1% of consumers purchased a product or service after seeing or clicking an online advertisement
- In the United Kingdom, 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine www.reflectdigital.co.uk
- 42% of those surveyed in the U.K. click on the first organic search result
- Twitter has, on average, a 1% engagement rate http://www.velocitypartners.co.uk/our-blog/the-future-of-digital-marketing-2013-a-review/
- The number of Tweets goes dramatically down during the really good bits of TV shows or sports events – then shoots up when the good bits are over
- 93% of consumers subscribe to at least one brand’s email as opposed to 58% who Like a brand on Facebook and 12% who follow a brand on Twitter http://www.exacttarget.com/resource-center/digitalmarketing/infographics/sff-marketers-mars
- 69% of consumers favor email as their first online “check” of the day
- In the U.S., more users access the Internet through mobile devices than through PCs/wireline devices http://visual.ly/top-4-digital-marketing-trends-2013
- 40% of tablet owners said they’ve looked up information about a TV program while they were watching the TV show http://www.slideshare.net/impigermobile/mobile-strategy-2011-for-companies
Jamie Turner is the CEO of the 60 Second Marketer and 60 Second Communications, a marketing communications agency that works with national and international brands. He is the co-author of “How to Make Money with Social Media” and “Go Mobile” and is a popular marketing speaker at events, trade shows and corporations around the globe.